Why Rock Bands Demand a Unique Security Strategy
If you’ve attended a concert recently, chances are you noticed routine security screening upon entry and possibly security near the stage to monitor crowd activity and interaction with the performers. However, beneath the surface, there is a web of information and advanced work that takes place – from monitoring hotel rooms for stalkers to online activity that needs to be investigated prior to the event.
John Guarnieri, Chief Operating Officer at Silver Spear Security, is an expert in personal security, surveillance, crowd management, and tour security, having managed security operations for nearly 20 well-known bands such as Nickelback, Shinedown, and Motley Crue. He also directs security for several international cruise lines, as well as notable music festivals and events. John began his career in protection as a Federal Police Officer for the United States Secret Service in the Presidential Security Division.
In this episode, John discusses the following topics with host Fred Burton:
- Challenges in protecting high-profile rock bands
- Social media threats and how to address them
- Protecting large audiences of over 20,000
- Skills necessary to be successful in protecting people and assets in the music and entertainment industry
- Common misconceptions when it comes to protecting rock bands
John also leads a podcast called Spear Talk where he discusses life on the road as a security professional.