BlackBerry, Associated Press, and American Express security leaders among recipients
AUSTIN, February 15, 2022 – In further recognition of the pioneers and thought leaders who have driven new shifts and novel practices, development of innovative solutions, and are contributing to, influencing, and advancing the security, safety and protection industries, the Ontic Center for Protective Intelligence today announced 9 new Protective Intelligence Honors recipients. These accomplished professionals hail from such companies as BlackBerry, Associated Press, and American Express, to name a few.
“This stellar group of honorees is paving the way for significant industry change and growth, and their commitment to ongoing innovation to make the world a safer place is inspiring,” said Fred Burton, Executive Director of the Ontic Center for Protective Intelligence. “As the threat landscape becomes more complex and difficult to manage over time, it is dedicated leaders like these who are making a difference, and we applaud them for their exceptional efforts.”
Those recognized as Protective Intelligence Honors Pioneers, experts who developed or established new models, methods of protective knowledge, or drove shifts in thinking or approach to protection include:
- John McClurg, Senior VP, CISO, BlackBerry – Voted one of America’s 25 most influential security professionals, John McClurg engages the industry around the globe on today’s risk challenges and how BlackBerry uniquely mitigates them with the application of artificial intelligence and machine learning. He is an advocate for the necessary shift from a historically reactive security posture to one focused on proactively predicting and preventing future risks. McClurg has held leadership roles at notable companies such as Dell, Honeywell International, and Lucent Technologies/Bell Laboratories, among others. McClurg has also served as a Supervisory Special Agent within the FBI, assisting in the establishment of the FBI’s new Computer Investigations and Infrastructure Threat Assessment Center, later known as the National Infrastructure Protection Center within the Department of Homeland Security.
- Dr. Reid Meloy, Founder, J. Reid Meloy, PhD, A Forensic Psychological Corporation – In 2007 Dr. Reid Meloy, in collaboration with Dr. Stephen White, created The WAVR-21, a structured professional judgment instrument for targeted workplace and campus violence. Dr. Meloy is also the originator and developer of the TRAP-18 (Terrorist Radicalization Assessment Protocol), a validated risk assessment instrument used by counterterrorism professionals in North America and Europe. Dr. Meloy is a board-certified forensic psychologist (ABPP) who consults on criminal and civil cases throughout the U.S. and Europe. He is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, and a faculty member of the San Diego Psychoanalytic Center. Dr. Meloy has been consulting, researching, and writing about personality disorders, psychopathy, stalking, narcissism, criminality, mental disorder, and targeted violence for the past 30 years. He has been a consultant on criminal, counterintelligence, and counterterrorism cases for the Behavioral Analysis Units, FBI, Quantico, over the past two decades.
- Dr. Stephen White, Co-Founder, WAVR-21 – Dr. White, in collaboration with Dr. Reid Meloy, developed and published in 2007 The WAVR-21. Now in its third edition, the WAVR-21 is an evidence-based structured professional judgment guide for assessing workplace and campus violence risk. Dr. White has consulted nationally and internationally on over 5,000 threat cases for numerous Fortune 500 companies, private and public organizations, law firms and their clientele, colleges and universities, law enforcement, military, and governmental entities. He has testified before the California State Legislature on behalf of workplace violence prevention legislation. He was a member of the expert panel of the 2012 US Army-sponsored Workplace Violence in the Military Program, providing peer reviews of scientific proposals to study predictors of targeted violence across Department of Defense service areas. He is a sought-after trainer and a frequent guest lecturer at regional, national, and international forums for security, human resource, and mental health professionals, campus administrators, law enforcement agencies, and employment law attorneys.
- Bruce McIndoe, President, McIndoe Risk Advisory and Founder, WorldAware – Bruce McIndoe has been a visionary and serial entrepreneur in the national security,
intelligence, and operational risk management space for global organizations for four decades. In 2020, McIndoe founded his namesake risk advisory company helping organizations institutionalize their learnings from the pandemic and achieve Agile Operational Resiliency based on a Continuous Risk Management Model protecting people, facilities, supply, and information assets. McIndoe founded and has held key leadership positions at Communications & Systems Specialists, Inc., B2B Web Solutions, and iJET International, Inc (which later became WorldAware).
Protective Intelligence Honors Thought Leaders, veteran practitioners, and established experts in the field who are actively contributing to and advancing protective intelligence industry knowledge and careers include:
- Edna Perry, Vice President of Global Security and Global Crisis Management at American Express;
- Danny Spriggs, Vice President, Associated Press;
- Adam Cambridge, Manager, Enterprise Risk Intelligence, MITRE;
- Aaron Arp, Director, Special Operations, PFC Safeguards;
- Bryan Flannery, President, Foresight Security Consulting
This esteemed group of honorees will be recognized at the forthcoming Ontic Summit 2022, February 21 – 23, 2022 in Austin. To learn more and register for the Summit, visit the event website.
To learn more about all Protective Intelligence Honors recipients, including biographies of the honorees, visit www.protectiveintelligencehonors.com
The Protective Intelligence Honors is a program that recognizes Pioneers and Thought Leaders in physical security who are selected by a committee of experts at the Ontic Center for Protective Intelligence. To date, 39 individuals have been named as honorees. To learn more or nominate a Pioneer or Thought Leader, visit ProtectiveIntelligenceHonors.com.
About the Ontic Center for Protective Intelligence
The Ontic Center for Protective Intelligence provides strategic consulting, multidimensional services and resources for safety and security, legal, risk and compliance professionals at major corporations across multiple industry sectors including financial services, technology, retail, entertainment and consumer products. Through its initiatives, global industry experts and authorities in protective intelligence share best practices, insights on current and historical trends, and explore lessons learned from physical security peers. The Center is led by Fred Burton, one of the world’s foremost experts on security and counterterrorism. A former police officer, special agent and New York Times best-selling author, Burton has served on the front lines of high-profile investigations including the hunt for and arrest of Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind behind the first World Trade Center bombing. For more information please visit ontic.co/center-for-protective-intelligence/
Named the top industry innovator in the Frost Radar™: Digital Intelligence Solutions, 2021, Ontic is the first protective intelligence software company to transform how Fortune 500 and emerging enterprises address physical threat management to protect employees, customers and assets. Ontic’s SaaS-based platform collects and connects threat indicators to provide a comprehensive view of potential threats while surfacing critical knowledge so companies can assess and action more to maintain business continuity and reduce financial impact. Ontic provides strategic consulting, multidimensional services, education and thought leadership for safety and security professionals through its Center for Protective Intelligence and Center of Excellence, the latter of which also offers program development and training services in behavioral threat assessment, threat management, and violence prevention for major corporations, educational institutions and government agencies.
For more information please visit https://ontic.co/ or follow us on Twitter @ontic_ai